Oh! Just look at them! All sassy with their scarlet, tangerine, and soft pink skirts on. These particular tulips are a season favourite here on Mayne Island. I just HAD to paint them. I asked permission to bring easel and paints right to the deck for a painting session. Let’s have a 22 second look and get a good feel for the situation…
So with paint on my cheeks and my tea left to get cold I give it my best.
After about an hour and half, it is definitely there! Doing a little en plein air dance around the deck. Oops! There are people here. I hadn’t noticed. A few adjustment are going to be needed but this is it for this day.
Back in the studio I work away until I feel it has come together. You see, I really do not get a lot of opportunity to paint with red. I like it but it kind of needs to be approached with respect. I suppose most colours do but red is my stand-back-and give-it-some-room colour. Shall we see what we have?
Tulips Springwater Deck Mayne Island – 20 x 16 inch oil on canvas
Update August 10, 2013: This painting is SOLD to an art collector in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Now I am going to let you in on a little secret. I am working on a much looser more textured experimental version of this same painting in the studio. It is too early to share and it may never be shared but I thought you just might like to know anyway. Red, lots of red and orange. Yum!…. Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone.
What is your stand-back-and give-it-some-room colour?
© 2013 Terrill Welch, All rights reserved.
Liberal usage granted with written permission. See “About” for details.
Creative Potager – Visit with painter and photographer Terrill Welch
From Mayne Island, British Columbia, Canada
For gallery and purchase information about Terrill’s photographs and paintings go to http://terrillwelchartist.com
- Oil landscape paintings – three new releases and three to ship (terrillwelchartist.com)
- Finding the Rhythm of the Sea in oil on canvas in the art studio (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Contemporary Canadian Landscape paintings by Terrill Welch SOLD! (terrillwelchartist.com)
- Active Pass Breaking Cloud Cover – a morning shadow photograph (terrillwelchartist.com)
- More Canadian Landscape paintings by Terrill Welch SOLD! (terrillwelchartist.com)
- Why Artists Should Try Painting En Plein Air At Least Once (longdensarronart.wordpress.com)